This was a challenging week. Joey is in his second week of work in Fort Worth out of six for the summer, and our best "Waco friends" officially moved to Dallas on Monday. The two combined have made it feel like our life is in transition right now. With one more year of school left, and the hardest year at that, I have spent a lot of time thinking, and sometimes worrying, about where we will end up and what God has in store for our lives.
Joey and I are reading The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren together this summer while we are apart, and the thing I keep coming back to is God telling me that life is not on hold because I feel like we are in transition. We are to live fully where ever we are and in whatever we are doing. I am such a planner and think so often about the future that sometimes I get too concerned about what is to come and loose sight of being thankful for where I am now. I like my ability to dream and think ahead, but sometimes I think Satan uses it to distract me from opportunities God is giving me now. In the book there is a poem by Russell Kelfer that inspired me to focus on the sovereignty of God.
You are who you are for a reason.
You're part of an intricate plan.
You're a precious and perfect unique design,
Called God's special woman or man.
You look like you look for a reason.
Our God made no mistake.
He knit you together within the womb,
You're just what he wanted to make.
The parents you had were the ones he chose,
And no matter how you may feel,
They were custom-designed with God's plan in mind,
And they bear the Master's seal.
No, that trauma you faced was not easy.
And God wept that it hurt you so;
But it was allowed to shape your heart
So that into his likeness you'd grow.
You are who you are for a reason,
You've been formed by the Master's rod.
You are who you are, beloved,
Because there is a God.
So, in effort to focus on the purpose God has for me right here and now, I have challenged myself to focus on the things that remind me how blessed we are. My goal is to just take it week by week- and sometimes day by day, and to be thankful for the little happy's that God gives me along the way. It is easy to get overwhelmed with fear of the unknown. So, in focusing on the little things that I can be thankful for right now, I plan to stay positive and hopefully not miss opportunities He is giving me now.
These are the things I am thankful for this week:
1. Time we got to spend in Brenham on vacation with Joey's mom and sister.
2. Joey took care of as many of the manly house chores that he normally handles as he could before he left on Sunday.
3. Shay Bear sent me an early birthday present in the mail with a sweet note of encouragement.
4. Mom texted and called to check on me a few times. :) I felt loved.
5. Dancing with the Stars finals was on Monday and Tuesday and Hines & Kym won!
6. Season premier of the Bachelorette was on Monday night!
7. Text messages this week from Megan letting me know she already misses me and is excited about us visiting this weekend.
8. The book I'm reading right now, The Rainmaker by John Grisham, got really good!
9. A productive week at work and a job that I enjoy and challenges me to grow.
10. I got to spend a lot of time with Harley after work this week, and I am very thankful that she is part of our family.
11. This is a long weekend for Memorial Day. I am leaving tonight to be in Dallas Friday through Monday to spend time with my hubby, grandparents, and friends! Yay for long weekends!
Hope your holiday weekend is filled with a chance to relax and spend time with family and friends!
No comments:
Post a Comment